Confirmation meets twice a month on Sunday from 3:15-4:45pm at St. Michael Hall. High School Confirmation prep is for all those in 10th, 11th or 12th grade starting this Fall. See below for a schedule, sponsor info, and curriculum. Please note, the first Confirmation session is on Sunday, September 15th. At least one parent is required to attend the first session.
To register for Confirmation, please fill out the this form. In order for your registration to be considered complete, a copy of the candidate’s baptismal certificate and the payment of $60 is due to the Parish Office. See “Payment” below for details on how to submit payment.
Other Important Mandatory Dates
Confirmation Interviews – October 12
Confirmation Retreat – November 16 & 17
Confirmation Night of Reflection w/Sponsor (TBA)
Mystagogia/Final Session – (TBA)
The curriculum used for Confirmation preparation is the new Life Teen published “Purpose” program. At the first Confirmation session, you will be instructed on how to download the app and utilize its features on your phone or tablet.
- Attend Mass every weekend and on Holy Days of Obligation.
- Attend all Confirmation preparation sessions and other mandatory dates listed.
- Attend the Confirmation retreat.
- Participate in a Confirmation Interview with the Director of Youth and Young Adult Ministry. The candidate and at least one parent must attend. Click here to sign up for a time slot.
- If the candidate does not attend Catholic High School (or a Home School religious curriculum), you must be concurrently enrolled in one of our youth ministry faith formation program, Life Teen (Sunday Nights). See the Life Teen web page here for more details.
Canonical Requirements of being a sponsor:
- Must be at least 16 years old.
- Must be a fully initiated Catholic and have received the Sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation and Holy Eucharist.
- Must practice the faith (go to Mass every Sunday, receive Reconciliation at least once per year, pray daily etc.)
- Must be married in the Catholic Church OR single and living a chaste life.
- to attend the Confirmation Night of Reflection, Confirmation rehearsal and Confirmation liturgy (dates to be decided)
- to live a strong example of the faith for their candidate
- Have been to the Sacrament of Reconciliation in the last year.
The Confirmation Retreat is absolutely essential to the preparation for the Sacrament of Confirmation. It gives the candidates a time to get away from the “day-to-day”, reflect on the sacrament they are preparing to receive, grow together in community, and encounter Christ. This year, it will be held as an overnight retreat at Our Lady of Mount Carmel starting at 8am on Saturday, November 16 and ending at 7pm on Sunday, November 17. Please sign up for the retreat by filling out this brief form and submitting a payment of $50.
- Online giving by registering for e-giving (https://www.olmc.org/give/)
- Check(s) (made out to OLMC Parish) Exact Cash submitted to the Parish Office, ATTN: Ken White.
You can mail cash or check to
Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Catholic Church
Attn: Ken White
100 Harpersville Road
Newport News, VA 23601